When my sister (twenty two years older than me) became old she used to say that what irritated her most was that she would lay in bed in the morning, planning her day and then - at the end of the day - she would realise she had done only about an eighth of what she intended. Now that I have reached my eighties I can only say how true I find what she said.
Except for the odd day. And, glory be, today has been a day like that! No - I am not walking any better - I still need my stick and even with it I can only walk slowly and painfully. But I have really had a very good day. My Grandson and his partner come tomorrow until Saturday so I had quite a big shop (I always shop on Tuesday mornings). Much of the day to day stuff I have delivered but for vegetables, fruit, bread - stuff like that - I like to go to the shop and buy it. I was late setting off because the egg lady came with my dozen eggs and we had a chat. I found a parking spot immediately, I whizzed round the shop buying everything I needed, there was no queue at the back of the shop where the Post Office is located and in no time at all I had the shopping packed in the boot of the car (I always have a young man from the shop to help me) and was on the way home. I even remembered to call in at our Medical Centre to collect some Hearing Aid Batteries so that I don't run out over Christmas. Then it was an hour's sit down over lunch, The Times, Coffee and a Mince Pie.
Tess had a long walk with her Dog Walker, so I slipped back into town because I had forgotten to pay my newspaper bill. Normally one trip into town would be enough, today I managed two quite happily. Then, before I took my coat off I took out the Recycling 'rubbish' and put at the bottom of the drive. Another couple of jobs done.
Then the job of washing out the fridge, putting the fresh food I had bought away, adding the dry goods to my store cupboard, putting my shopping trolley and bags in the garage where they live - and the door bell went to admit the Lifeline warden who calls on me once a month to check that I am alright. It was good to see him because he did not know I had no telephone service (and without that Lifeline doesn't work).
Now, at half past seven in the evening, everywhere is tidy, Tess has had her tea and is asleep in her bed, the house is warm and I shall now go and choose my poems to read at tomorrow's Poetry. An earlyish night will enable me to rise fresh in the morning to make a batch of vegetable and pearl barley soup ready for my visitors coming in the evening. Served with croutons or garlic bread it makes a delicious meal followed by coffee and a hot mince pie.
There will be a gap in posts now because my visitors will be staying in my computer room. So my next post will probably be on Saturday. Whether or not I shall have a telephone service by then seems unlikely. I have to wait for an outside contractor to dig up the lawn and no sign of him today. The good news it is turning warmer for a couple of days. See you soon.

0 Yorumlar